Last Updated January 20, 2020
Information We Collect
While you are visiting the Site, we may collect two types of information about you: “Personal Information” and “Activity Information.”
CANCER101 may obtain Personal Information about you or a loved one if you elect to give us that information by creating an account for yourself or a loved one. “Personal Information” may include:
- Contact information, including your or a loved one’s first name, last name email address, address, country of residence, and telephone number;
- Demographic information, including your or a loved one’s gender and age;
- Medical information, including information about your experience with and/or interest in cancer, other medical information including your health status or current health interests, and any other information you may include in your Account in sections marked “Other”, as well as other personal information that you voluntarily provide to us if you contact us via email or otherwise. Such Personal Information will be collected when you register an account with the Site (“Account”); and
- Financial information, including your credit or debit card information if you choose to make a donation to CANCER101 through the Site.
Please note that although CANCER101 may collect certain medical information from you, CANCER101 is not subject to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (“HIPAA”). CANCER101 understands that medical information is particularly sensitive in nature and will only use and share such information as described below.
In certain situations, such as to register an Account, make a donation, complete a survey, or use other services or products, you may be required to enter Personal Information. When doing so, you must complete certain fields. In these situations, if you choose to withhold any Personal Information that is required, it may not be possible for you to register an Account with the Site or complete a proposed transaction.
We also collect information regarding your use of the Site (“Activity Information”), which may include your device’s IP address or Device ID, which will be collected automatically once you access the Site. Your device’s IP address and Device ID may be collected even if you do not register an Account with the Site.
We also collect Activity Information that we turn into aggregate information about your interaction with the Site (“Aggregate Information”). Aggregate Information consists of certain non-identifying data fields, or pieces of information, that are combined with similar information from other users in order to create summary reports and analysis. We compile Aggregate Information such that no one person can reasonably be identified by that compiled information (for example, the number of people who logged onto the Site in a particular day). Examples of information we may compile into aggregate information include the website you came from (known as the “referring URL”), the time and date of access, webpages most frequently accessed by you, time spent on a webpage or area of the Site, the number of visits to the Site by you, type of browser used by you, cookie preferences, or search terms entered by you.
Your Account Information
You may also choose to establish an Account with the Site and to enter and store information and other content in your Account (collectively, “Account Information”). If your Account has not been accessed for more than one year, CANCER101 reserves the right to permanently delete your Account Information. CANCER101 will e-mail you two notices prior to removing your Account Information (email notices will be sent to the address associated with your Account). Once Account Information is deleted, it will no longer be accessible to you.
You may also request that CANCER101 delete your Account and related Account Information at any time. CANCER101 may retain Aggregate Information even after your Account is deleted. Such Aggregate Information is not personally identifiable.
When you create an Account we require you to create a password. You should take steps to assure that no other person will gain access to your password. If you do share your password with others, those individual(s) will have access to all of the Personal Information associated with your Account. You alone are responsible for all actions taken in the name of your Account. If you believe your password has been compromised you should promptly change your password.
How We Use Your Information
CANCER101 limits the use of information obtained on the Site to the following:
- If you provide Personal Information (including any Personal Information you voluntarily provide to us when you contact us via email or otherwise), we will enter such Personal Information into our database and use that information to gain information about who is visiting the Site and to further improve the Site contents and offerings for our users. We may also contact you to respond to your inquiry, including inquiries about volunteering, donating, or using Prescription to Learn, enable you to make a donation, complete a survey, or obtain any other services or products, supply you with a newsletter or other information, or request voluntary information or monetary contributions.
- We will use the Activity Information, including Aggregate Information derived from your use of the Site, to manage and improve the Site and our services to you. These uses may include making the Site or services easier to use by eliminating the need for you to repeatedly enter the same information, performing research and analysis aimed at improving our products, services and technologies, and providing our sponsors with website traffic information. We may perform statistical, demographic and marketing analyses of users of the Site, and use this information and analysis to modify the Site based on user preferences.
How We Share Your Information
We do not sell, rent, or share Personal Information with any third parties other than your clinician, for the purposes of recommending resources and monitoring progress through Prescription to Learn if you grant the Site permission to do so, and other than as necessary for third parties to perform services on behalf of CANCER101. We occasionally hire third parties to provide limited services on our behalf, such as website hosting, administering surveys, processing, mailing and delivering orders, sending information about our products and services, and updating our sponsors about the general preferences and interests of the Site’s users. However, such third parties are obligated to maintain the confidentiality of Personal Information and are not authorized to use Personal Information for any purpose other than providing those services.
We may sell, share or otherwise provide certain Personal Information to third parties for use in scientific research and market research. However, prior to providing any Personal Information to third parties, we would de-identify such information in such a way that you cannot be identified.
In addition, we may release Personal Information we have collected when legally required to do so, at the request of governmental authorities, to verify or enforce compliance with the policies governing the Site and applicable laws, or to protect against misuse or unauthorized use of the Site. We also reserve the right to share, assign, or transfer your Personal Information to any of our affiliates or to any successor in interest to our organization by merger, sale of assets, reorganization, or operation of law. We also reserve the right to share Aggregate Information with potential sale or merger parties, those providing financing to us and their respective advisors.
With regard to the Personal Information of our donors, we will not sell, trade or share any such Personal Information with anyone else, nor will we send mailings to any donor on behalf of other organizations without such donor’s consent.
How We Protect Your Information
While there is no practical way to completely assure the security of information you supply us, including your Personal Information, we take steps we believe are reasonably designed to protect your information from unauthorized access, use, and alteration. However, we believe that a persistent attacker with sufficient resources would be able to defeat our security measures and we provide no guarantee that your Personal Information will remain secure.
Your Rights and Correcting Information
You can update or change your Personal Information at any time and as often as necessary through this Site or by sending an email to [email protected].
You can unsubscribe from communications you no longer wish to receive from us. We provide unsubscribe (opt-out) instructions in our email communications.
Information from Children
This Site is not intended for children and no one under age 13 may provide any Personal Information to us through the Site. CANCER101 does not intentionally collect Personal Information from children under the age of 13. If we discover that we have inadvertently collected Personal Information from a person under the age of 13, we will delete it immediately.
Links to Other Sites
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of the Site that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, you may contact us by email at [email protected].